There are literally a million ways to wellness! And what better way than with all natural methods.
These are my favourite wellness hacks which can be done anywhere, anytime, with minimal props. The results: more energy, a clear mind and a happy, healthy bod!
BulletProof your coffee
There are a few ways to really spruce up your morning coffee, and I’m not talking about a full-cream-iced-double-latte-frappucino with extra dollop. I’m talking about the nutritious, good fats that you can load up on which help the coffee metabolize slowly so energy is released over a longer period i.e.; no crash and burning by the time 11sies comes round.
Coconut oil, ghee, cacao butter as well as organic grass-fed butter are all great options – just make sure to blend them properly otherwise you’ll have a few curdies to deal with. I’m literally buzzing till noon on this stuff
Here’s a super quick recipe in case you’re interested:
- One cup of organic coffee, herbal coffee or chai tea
- 1-3 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp organic grass-fed unsalted butter
- Put all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Mix on high speed for 10 seconds until frothy. Don’t have a blender? No problem – a whisk or even a fork will do just fine.
Your skin is your biggest organ so should really be included in your beauty regime regardless of whether you’re travelling or not.
One-third of the body’s daily toxins are expelled through the skin but if you’re not regularly exfoliating the dead skin cells, there’s nowhere for these impurities to go. Dry brushing stimulates your body from the outside in, allowing it to absorb nutrients and oxygen much more easily.
Not only will your skin look and feel much better, you’ll also:
- Stimulate your lymphatic system
- Reduce cellulite
- Increase muscle tone
- Relieve some stress
- Improve blood circulation
Pretty kewl hey? Here’s a mini guide…
- Use a natural bristle brush
- Do not wet your skin
- Always brush in an upward motion, starting at your feet, and working your way all the way up to your chest, where your heart is
- Brush in smooth, long strokes, or in circular motions
- After the brushing, have a light shower and then apply rose hip or coconut oil to body
Despite the creepy sounding name, oil pulling isn’t really anything to be afraid of.
It’s the process of detoxing your mouth using a natural oil (either coconut, olive or sesame – all organic). Here’s the catch. You’ve gotta do it for 15-20 minutes. I prefer coconut but you should experiment to see which is best for you.
This ancient Ayurvedic method basically keeps your gums healthy and your pearlers shiny! It removes the build up of bacteria in the mouth, helps with bad breath and can prevent plaque from forming as well as gingivitis.
Here are a few tips to get you swirling:
- Put 1-2 teaspoons of oil into the mouth. If it feels like too much, use a little less.
- Swish for 20 minutes. Yes, 20 minutes ok. This is necessary to break through the plaque and bacteria. Obviously, this is difficult when you’re first starting out but it will get easier. I do it in the shower and then apply my toner, serum moisturizer etc etc all whilst swirling
- Don’t gargle!
- The oil will get thick and milky, as it will mix with saliva and it will also have doubled by the time you’re finished.
- When you’re done – spit oil into the trash can. DO NOT spit it into the sink as it might clog the pipes and definitely don’t swallow it – it’s full of disgusting toxins.
- Rinse your mouth with warm water and brush your teeth as normal to get rid of any remaining bacteria
The quickest way to detox your bod and by far the most fun! Also a great way to a healthy body and mind. Check out why here.
There are many forms of inversions so don’t stress if you can stand on your head or bend all the way into a plow pose.
Grab a wall, and hike dem legs up all the way, or as high as you can get em. It’s really about elevating your legs so they’re higher than your head and the blood rushes down oxygenating your head with fresh blood. If that means you start with a standing forward bend pose, then so be it – it’s just as effective. Just not as fun.
The mother of all wellness hacks. Probably the most written about. I know I harp on about it. Because I love starting the day with a lukewarm glass of lemony water. There are plenty I could real off here but I’ll stick to just five reasons why lemon water is how the French would say ”le bomb”.
- Detoxifies the body
- Alkalises the body
- Aids digestion
- Good for your skin
- Boosts the immune system
Now if you want to get even more hectic with your LW – add lid full of apple cider vinegar, or a teaspoon of turmeric and you will literally be G-L-O-W-I-N-G from inside out.
You’re in a new environment. Your gut needs to adjust. Fasting is probably THE easiest wellness hack because it literally requires nothing of you (apart from warding off hunger pangs). Skipping just one meal a day (either breakfast or dinner) is all it takes for you to reset your gut microbiome.
I recently wrote about the wonderful benefits fasting has had on my body and mind and the results speak for themselves. My focus is better, I have more energy, feel less tired throughout the day, and rarely get bloated anymore.
Yeah ok, so fasting for the win!
Skip the Sugar
You’re sweet enough.
A toughie, if you’re on holidays, but trust me – you’ll be thank full and full of beans simply by resisting that dulce de lece or tarte tartin. Just because you’re overseas shouldn’t be an excuse to eat anything you want. You’ll have more energy and won’t crash from a self-induced sucrose coma.
Plus your skin will love you, you’ll reduce your anxiety, your waistline and your cravings. This will take a few weeks to get used to but it will be worth it in the long run. It takes anywhere from 10 to 14 days for your taste buds to renew themselves so two weeks is all it takes for you to stop wanting sugar every day.
You know what’s easily found almost everywhere in the world…blueberries. Good old blubes will do the trick for me almost every time I have a sugar craving. They’re just sweet enough and packed with nutrients, plus you won’t feel bad devouring a whole punnet all to yourself!
Whether you’re the airport, on the plane, train, in a hotel or waiting in line at Madame Tussauds, you can practice meditation, find balance and bring the awareness back to yourself anywhere. It only takes as little as ten minutes daily.
My gorgeous friend who is studying to be a pilot was having some trouble concentrating on the theory. Feeling frustrated, she went home, meditated and literally had a break through. Now if that’s not motivating enough to give it a crack then slap me now and call me woo-woo but guys, come on – that’s all the proof in your wellness pudding you’ll ever need.
What are some of your favourite wellness hacks?! I’d love to learn of any new ones